Historic Walking/Driving Tour - Perry from ExploreGeorgia.org
With more details on Perry, GA
This small town on the highway, was traditionally based on gristmills, sawmills, and cotton gins industry, and was named to honor Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, a hero of the War of 1812. It is the host of the Georgia National Fair since 1990, but has been a tourist based economy since the 1920's when U.S. Highway 41 to Florida was paved. More recently, in the 1960s, Interstate 75 passed through the western side of the city making it a stopping point for interstate traffic, and Florida bound tourists. I stopped here last fall when headed to Orlando, just because the big cities were congested and too busy. I have to explain I knew neither about the fair nor the tour when I passed through, I was unprepared. :(
Although it's 2014 pop. est. is only 15000, the fair has been known to bring nearly a quarter million attendees. Note the city is not far outside of both Atlanta and Macon and on multiple major highways. The Georgia National Fair that is held the 5th Thursday after Labor Day and runs for 11 days. (see Interactive Map
No comments:
Post a Comment